Wednesday, August 6, 2008

today's events

Well, today was uneventful if you find the following uneventful:
Got up at 5:20am, got ready, out the door by 6:50am. Drop babies off at their aunt's for childcare, drive to work, park the car. Walk the nearly one mile from my car to the office. Work until 2pm, no breakfast, no lunch, one cup of joe. Walk the nearly one mile back to my car. In 105 degree heat. Race back home, get sippy cups with cold water, finger snacks. Drive to aunt's house, pick up the babies. Drive in the opposite direction to doctor's office for 4pm well-child visits, get there at 3:55pm, wait 35 minutes (not bad!). Lucy got 1 shot, Josie got 4 plus a heel-stick. They're growing fine, blah, blah, blah, already misplaced their growth chart information (but not after I registered that Josie is 50th percentile for height, 90th for weight....doesn't seem possible...she seem proportionate to me, but I don't think about the accuracy of the information until I'm driving home with two screaming babies in the back seat). I'm in my car at 5:25pm, heading home, get there just after 6pm (how'd I make such good time in rush hour?). No one's home yet. I make a cheese crisp for Lucy which she drops on the floor for the dog while screaming and making the sign for "all done." "All done?" I say as I get her down from her booster seat. She shakes her head no, screams louder, points to her booster seat, signs 'more.' I put her back. I get her more cheese crisp plus sippy cup. She shakes her head 'no,' screaming. I give her crackers, fruit, cheese, they're all on the floor. The dog is in hog heaven. Her saliva is dripping on my foot. The mantra in my head: I will not kick the dog, I will not raise my voice or be rough with my child, I am a calm and rational mommy. Josie, meanwhile, is in her booster seat, slamming her palms against the table and yowling for me, while alternately reaching for her jar of baby food (just out of her reach, thank God). The jar's open but she hasn't had any yet because I'm trying to get Lucy under control. Omg, now Lucy's in my lap, big crocodile tears but no screaming, and I'm feeding Josie. Halfway through, Josie (who doesn't really care for Turkey Rice Dinner) begins smiling (oh no, I think: here it comes) and then starts with explosive raspberries, spewing orange baby food goo all over herself (despite the bib). She giggles. It is, after all, funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment