Thursday, October 27, 2011

Disneyland

I want to separate the Disneyland blog from the rest, so that I can make a few choice comments:

1. I will never be too old for Disneyland or go there too often. I love it.
2. Disneyland is f*&%ing expensive. I can't go there very often.
3. If you take your young kids to Disneyland, pin your name and # to their shirt so whoever finds your little darlings can call you on your cell.
4. If you take your pre-adolescent children, agree on a meeting spot and make sure that the eye rolling means "I heard you even though I think it's a dumb idea and you're stoopid if you think I'm going to get lost at my age," instead of "What did you say? Everything you say is stoopid and so I'm just rolling my eyes waiting for you to be done talking." I like to follow this by saying, "Tell me back what I just said." The kids love that.
5. If you do lose your kid at Disneyland, fear not. The staff respond immediately and I'm told they "haven't lost a child yet." S'cuse me: the CAST MEMBERS respond immediately.
6. It's not Cinderella's castle, it's Sleeping Beauty's castle. Alternately: Aurora's castle. My bad.
7. If you have girls, hit the area where the Disney princesses are first thing in the morning before the line is long. Do it!
8. Take a cell phone picture of the barcode for your park hopper tickets. If you lose them on day 1, you will be thanking me big time later b/c this will be the only way Disneyland can help you.
9. Take a cell phone picture of the barcode for your photo pass (see #8 above). Better: hand the photographer your camera and s/he will take the same photo with your camera and you won't need to buy a bunch of expensive prints from Disneyland. If you do buy the pictures, just splurge for the photo CD because it's cheaper in the long run if you want more than just a couple photos. Better: wait til you return home, register your photo pass and wait for the e-mails from Disney offering you deep discounts on your photos lest you forget to ever buy them now that Disneyland is a distant memory.
10. Except: Let them take your picture at night in front of (eh hem) Sleeping Beauty's castle. Trust me, the picture will be epic with their fancy camera; a dud with yours. Same for any other night pictures such as at California Adventure with the water and boardwalk in the background.
11. Use FastPass - duh! But remember that you can use it (same day) at any time past the return time so don't get rid of it if you don't get back to the ride during the window of time printed on the ticket.
12. Tell the kids no souvenirs so they won't bug you during the trip. Then, at a certain time on the last day, wow them with the fact that they can get something. Then no more souvenirs for reals.
13. When you arrive, buy an autograph book and pen. Immediately write your child's name and address in the front. If you leave it somewhere, all the characters will sign it and Disneyland will pop it in the mail for you. Take pictures and get autographs with all the characters. So cute!
14. Rent a locker each day so you don't have to carry a bunch of crap around with you. Just won a bunch of stuff on the boardwalk? Don't want to carry around your souvenir cup now that you drank everything? It's too hot for your sweatshirt but it will be in the 50's at night? Just stuff it all in the locker.
15. Buy a Christmas ornament with the year on it.
16. I'll think of more later. Oh before I forget: avoid LaQuinta Anaheim/Disneyland Inn and Suites at all costs. Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment